Jump to navigation Jump to search
This is a first draft detailed migration plan for moving Fancylopedia from Wikidot to Mediawiki.
Prep of Wikidot
- Do a full backup of Wikidot. This will be the base version of Fancy to be ported.
- Continue to track changes on Wikidot, as they will need to be replicated on Mediawiki. This will be done by hand.
- Find and fix explicit redirects to missing pages, especially different versions of peoples' names where there's no page for the person.
- Uncategorized files
- Wanted Pages
- Broken redirects
- Double redirects
Prep of MediaWiki site
- We will use HTTP, not HTTPS
- Add specialized copyright notice. Creative Commons?
- Need to create logo
- Make sure robots.txt is set to allow indexing. DONE
- Other standard wiki pages (About, etc.)
- Edit special404 page?
- Document admin procedures in a suitably hidden place
- Create a list of all users with Wikidot IDs and email addresses where known
- Notify users a week or so in advance of the planned move
- Tell them what (if anything) we will do for them. (Is there anything?)
- Note that we don't have email addresses for around a third of our users, but we do have them for all of the large users and most of the more recent ones.
- Send Wikidot messages to the users we don't have emails for
- Edit the welcome page at Wikidot to announce the move
- Explain why the move
- Write a MediaWiki for Wikidot users FAQ
- Offer to manually add productive users with this
Review of test move
- Review the test move in light of the sed scripts
- Use http://wiki4.fancy-test.com
- We're looking for conversion bugs
- Do we know how to make fanacylopedia.org point to the new site?
- Are there any Mediawiki features we want to turn off? Discussions?
- Document process for vetting and adding users
- Remove existing users from Wikidot site
- Is there some way to detect users who follow links of the form fancyclopedia.wikidot.com/page?
- Consider making Wikidot site entirely private
- Do search for links of the form fancyclopedia.wikidot.com/page and, where appropriate, try to get them changed.
- Add list of editors' real names
- Rewrite Python programs
- Figure out how to let people upload files
- Decide on allowing use of wysisyg editor
- Deal with files from Wikidot which are not being moved. (Look at file sent by JB.)